ONA provides services that other unions do not, geared towards the unique needs of health-care professionals.
Benefits of ONA Membership
- Free access to our top-notch education programs, which conduct workshops across the province.
- Professional practice specialists who advise and support members on practice concerns and the Professional Responsibility Clause.
- A Human Rights and Equity Team that promotes equality and works for fair and impartial consideration of issues, including member-to-member harassment.
- ONA Benefit Program, which provides base Long-Term Disability (LTD) for members not covered through their employer/collective agreement. All members have Critical Illness coverage in the event of a life threatening illness. We also offer additional discounted insurance for life, personal accident, extended health, hospital, travel and dental coverage.
ONA brings expertise in representing health-care professionals and assisting members:
- At the bargaining table, negotiating collective agreements which lead the health-care sector for wages and working conditions.
- Handling grievances and arbitration.
- At Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) hearings.
- At licensing body hearings.
- In courts of law and at inquests.
- On the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) Board of Directors.
- Before government commissions.
Legal Expense Assistance Plan (LEAP)
LEAP has been available since 1980 to assist members faced with legal problems arising from their employment as a health-care professional. LEAP may provide help to members faced with legal issues stemming from:
- An issue before a regulatory college.
- A complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
- A coroner’s inquest or investigation.
- A criminal investigation or criminal charges.
Superior Pregnancy & Parental Leave
With ONA, health-care professionals at Lakeridge Health get a better deal for pregnancy and parental leave.
Professional Responsibility Clause (PRC)
Reporting unsafe patient care or practice to our employers is our professional responsibility. ONA’s collective agreement contains a process that enables you to address concerns about your practice and workload. The PRC complaint process can result in increased staffing, safer workplaces, and improved quality of care.
ONA members have professional excess liability insurance. Malpractice insurance protects members who, as a result of practicing their profession, are found to have been negligent and have to pay damages. The insurance provides up to $1.5 million in coverage per incident up to a maximum of $6 million per member (above employer coverage).